Skip to main content

The End of the Beginning

On Friday, I completed my career at Sears Canada and after a total of almost 10 years with the company it was definitely hard to say goodbye.  There are many things I could say about what went wrong but I have never been (and hopefully never will be) one to focus on the negative.  I choose to find the positive wherever I can because negativity doesn't help me or anyone else.  However, the truth is that it has come to an end.

"However, the truth is that it has come to an end."
In my first run with the company as a sales associate, I quickly learned about myself what I loved and where my passion lied.  It was the interaction with people that became almost intoxicating to me and left me desiring more.  But it wasn't just the social atmosphere that I enjoyed, it was the genuine care for people that was hypnotizing to me.  I loved the people that I worked with (my team members) and the people I worked for (my customers).  It made my job so enjoyable and it hooked me into a life of retail that I couldn't get away from no matter how hard I tried.

I left Sears to pursue a career in the automotive sector (because that's where the money was ... or so I was told) but quickly learned that I missed the retail environment.  I worked my way up into management and struggled through as my passion wasn't what I was following and going to work each day slowly became a chore as opposed to something to look forward to doing.  I was actually waking up in the morning and literally asking, "Do I have to go to work today?"  I knew something was wrong.  I felt like I was at a dead end.

"I knew something was wrong.  I felt like I was at a dead end."

After a many more years of working through different opportunities, I found myself embarking on another opportunity with Sears in a General Manager position and as soon as I walked through the door, I knew I was home.  It was like there was life breathed back into me.  I was alive again!

Fast forward to five years later and here I am finishing something that I have loved dearly, not because I want to but rather because I have no choice.  The company is closing it's doors after 64 years and all positions will be vacated.  It is the end ...

"I am finishing something that I have loved dearly, not because I want to but rather because I have no choice.  ...  It is the end ..."
... but where something ends, something else begins.  I'm very fortunate to be starting something new with another retailer where I get to work with some amazing people and create relationships with new customers.  I get to continue living my passion each and every day.  Again, I get to lead a team where we will work together to create the most positive experience possible for the people we work for (our customers) and ensure that we build upon those relationships.  For that I am truly blessed.

So as I look at the end I am excited, not for what I lost with which once was, but I leap towards this new opportunity where I can celebrate a new start.  It truly is the end of the beginning ... and I am ready!

"It truly is the end of the beginning ... and I am ready!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Attitude of Change

I'm not going to post every day on my blog, but I thought it was important to post today as something really hit home with me. "Why do we have to change?"  I'm in the process of changing companies.  It's not that I wanted to leave my old company, I was left with no choice because they are closing their doors.  It was a change that I was forced to make.  Along with myself, 17,000 other employees over the past 6 months have been forced to make a similar change in their lives.  To say the least, it hasn't come easy. A few years ago, my team at the time was having some difficulty understanding some of the changes that the company was making.  I could see they were struggling to understand the new direction that the company was taking.  Some of them were even digging their heels in staying they just wanted to do it the way that we have always done it.  "Why do we have to change?"  The following week during our weekly meeting, I sat down with them